What should I do and what are my legal rights if about 6-8 years ago, I was on my way to work and I found an electric guitar in the middle of the road?

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do and what are my legal rights if about 6-8 years ago, I was on my way to work and I found an electric guitar in the middle of the road?

I watched the paper for lost and found. There was nothing, so I just held on to it. Then about a month ago I decided that it wasn’t doing me any good just sitting around so I decided to sell it. One of the local guitar stores said they would give me $500 for it so I sold it. Then 3 days ago the police show up at my door saying that it was stolen. They are telling me that I’m probably going tohave to pay to get the guitar back or they are going to charge me with possion of stolen property.

Asked on July 4, 2013 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. First, you ought not post details of this matter on a public website, because your statements may be used against you. With the police questioning you, you should contact a private attorney licensed in your state for help right away. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption