About 21-3721?

UPDATED: May 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

About 21-3721?

I just received a 21-3721 in ks because I was drunk and sat down on someone’s sidewalk step and passed out. What will happen to me? Should I get an attorney?

Asked on May 12, 2009 under Criminal Law, Kansas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should get an attorney.  Anytime you have a criminal charge, you need a lawyer! Question is whether you prefer to have a public defender or a private one (if you can afford one).  Try www.attorneypages.com to at least consult with a private criminal defense attorney.  If not, contact the public defender's office.

21-3721 is criminal trespass.  There may be an issue of drunkenness as a defense but highly unlikely to be successful if you try to argue it on your own:



      21-3721.   Criminal trespass. (a) Criminal trespass is:

      (1)   Entering or remaining upon or in any land, nonnavigable body of water, structure, vehicle, aircraft or watercraft, other than railroad property as defined in K.S.A. 21-3761, and amendments thereto, or nuclear generating facility as defined in K.S.A. 2007 Supp. 66-2302, and amendments thereto, by a person who knows such person is not authorized or privileged to do so, and:

      (A)   Such person enters or remains therein in defiance of an order not to enter or to leave such premises or property personally communicated to such person by the owner thereof or other authorized person; or

      (B)   such premises or property are posted in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, or are locked or fenced or otherwise enclosed, or shut or secured against passage or entry; or

      (C)   such person enters or remains therein in defiance of a restraining order issued pursuant to K.S.A. 60-1607, 60-3105, 60-3106, 60-3107, 60-31a05 or 60-31a06 or K.S.A. 2007 Supp. 38-2243, 38-2244 or 38-2255, and amendments thereto, and the restraining order has been personally served upon the person so restrained; or

      (2)   entering or remaining upon or in any public or private land or structure in a manner that interferes with access to or from any health care facility by a person who knows such person is not authorized or privileged to do so and such person enters or remains thereon or therein in defiance of an order not to enter or to leave such land or structure personally communicated to such person by the owner of the health care facility or other authorized person.

      (b)   As used in this section:

      (1)   "Health care facility" means any licensed medical care facility, certificated health maintenance organization, licensed mental health center, or mental health clinic, licensed psychiatric hospital or other facility or office where services of a health care provider are provided directly to patients.

      (2)   "Health care provider" means any person: (A) Licensed to practice a branch of the healing arts; (B) licensed to practice psychology; (C) licensed to practice professional or practical nursing; (D) licensed to practice dentistry; (E) licensed to practice optometry; (F) licensed to practice pharmacy; (G) registered to practice podiatry; (H) licensed as a social worker; or (I) registered to practice physical therapy.

      (c) (1)   Criminal trespass is a class B nonperson misdemeanor.

      (2)   Upon a conviction of a violation of subsection (a)(1)(C), a person shall be sentenced to not less than 48 consecutive hours of imprisonment which must be served either before or as a condition of any grant of probation or suspension, reduction of sentence or parole.

      (d)   This section shall not apply to a land surveyor, licensed pursuant to article 70 of chapter 74 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, and amendments thereto, and such surveyor's authorized agents and employees who enter upon lands, waters and other premises in the making of a survey.

      History:   L. 1969, ch. 180, § 21-3721; L. 1979, ch. 92, § 13; L. 1980, ch. 99, § 1; L. 1986, ch. 161, § 3; L. 1992, ch. 183, § 6; L. 1993, ch. 291, § 79; L. 1996, ch. 30, § 2; L. 1996, ch. 211, § 2; L. 2002, ch. 141, § 11; L. 2003, ch. 128, § 17; L. 2004, ch. 129, § 2; L. 2006, ch. 27, § 6; L. 2006, ch. 200, § 85; Jan. 1, 2007.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption