A vehicle that listed under my LLC gets into an accident and now they are attempting to sue me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

A vehicle that listed under my LLC gets into an accident and now they are attempting to sue me?

I have an LLC and had a vehicle and the driver got into an accident. It was reported to the insurance company and the insurance company paid all the claims. A year later the person that was hit is trying to sue me personally to pay medical bills. They attempted to serve me but I no longer resided at that address. What should I do?

Asked on September 19, 2017 under Accident Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The property damage claim is separate from the personal injury claim. If your insurance carrier only settled the property damage (cost of repairs to the other party's vehicle) , but not the personal injury claim, that is the reason for the lawsuit. Refer the matter to your insurance carrier which will handle it and provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption