If a rock quarry will be built 2 to 4 miles from my home in approximately 2 years, do I have to disclose this when selling my home?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a rock quarry will be built 2 to 4 miles from my home in approximately 2 years, do I have to disclose this when selling my home?

Pending any legal action that will delay construction, a quarry will be built 4 miles

away. I’m not sure how close final operations will be, estimates are 2 miles and in about 2 years. If we sell do I have to disclose this legally?

Asked on September 17, 2016 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you know of this, then yes, you do need to disclose: this is an item that clearly has a material (significant) effect on the value, desirability, use, etc. of the home, and to fail to disclose a known impact on  value, etc. can be to commit fraud and therefore expose yourself to liability. If you did not know, you'd be under no duty to investigage; but since you do know, you have to disclose or risk liability later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption