What to do if a representative from my mortgage lender came to my neighborhood and informed her that I was late with my payments?

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a representative from my mortgage lender came to my neighborhood and informed her that I was late with my payments?

While I was out of town a representative from my mortgage lender came into my neighborhood identified herself to my neighbor asked if I lived at my address and indicated that I was having difficulty paying my mortgage. Is this legal? Do I have any recourse?

Asked on March 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If what you have written is true as to the contact with the neighbor by the lender's representative and you have been having problems with making your mortgage payments, you unfortunately do not have any legal recourse. However, if you do not have problems making the payments, you might have some legal recourse for a false statement as to you in your state. For better advice on this subject you should consult with a personal injury attorney.

In any event, you should speak with the supervisor of the person who made contact with your neighbor and make a complaint over what happened. If what you say is true, then the lender is engaging in bad business practices in my opinion.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption