What to do if a product I have purchased has a 3-year warranty but it also has a design defect that may not occur until after the warranty period has expired?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a product I have purchased has a 3-year warranty but it also has a design defect that may not occur until after the warranty period has expired?

The defect may never occur, however if it occurs it will require a multi-thousand dollar repair/replacement of the product. Additionally, the repaired/replacement part would have the same defect as the original product. I do not want to gamble with such a design defect. I would like a voucher or guarantee that I would be able to have the repair done as long as I own it. Also, it presents a huge time inconvenience to have the repair. What rights do I have now and what rights would I have after 3 years?

Asked on September 17, 2012 under General Practice, Florida


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This is not an easy question to answer.  You may be able to revoke your acceptance of this product under the Uniform Commericial Code (Florida Statutes section 672.608.  This would require that you notify the seller within a reasonable time after discovering the defect and return the product.  This appears to be your safest alternative.

Even if the warranty extended beyond 3 years, I bet it is a limited warranty.  As a limited warranty, it may only pay for parts and not labor.  I would be very surprised if the warranty paid anything for time inconvenience or provided a temporary replacement.

Perhaps another lawyer has additional ideas, but I think you need to return the item or live with the risk.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption