What to do if a plumbing company overcharged me?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a plumbing company overcharged me?

A plumbing company came to replace an expansion tank on my water heater. They charged me $500. I called other local plumbers the top quote was $230 with others ranging from $85 to $180. I feel ripped off. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on September 12, 2013 under Business Law, Idaho


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If they didn't trick you in some way--quote a lower price, then charge a higher one; hide or lie about some of the charges you'd face; etc.--then they did not "rip you off" from a legal point of view. You may have overpaid, but the law does not protect people from overpaying--it protects them from fraud and other wrongdoing. If the plumbing company did nothing wrong other than charge you more than could have paid elsewhere, they did not nothing legal wrong and you would not have any recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption