If aphoto of my cars engine bay was taken and used on a companies product page without my consent, is this legal?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If aphoto of my cars engine bay was taken and used on a companies product page without my consent, is this legal?

An auto parts company that I used to go to installed 1 of their parts on my car. I have discovered that they are using a photo of my engine bay on their product page. This photo was taken without my consent and is used on the page currently where you may purchase the part. I have not given them an permissions to take or use photos of my car commercially. I was informed that given the context this may be illegal. Is it?

Asked on January 11, 2011 under Business Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Well if your car was in a public place and the photo was taken from a public place, you have no case. So you need to check the angle and inquire if it was indeed taken from a public place. If this motor vehicle was in the company's possession and that company took the photo on its own property and without your permission, you may have a right to have the picture taken down or given a nominal amount (amount to be determined by negotiation or if you sue, by the mediator, arbitrator or judge).  It is not like this is the picture of you and you are marketing yourself nor is it a photo of your property that they are selling (i.e., not your engine).  So you need to talk to them first and make sure by talk, you have documented everything in writing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption