A mentally incompetent person was duped into signing a auto loan by a woman

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

A mentally incompetent person was duped into signing a auto loan by a woman

A woman told my brother that she loved him that they could get married if he signed the paper it was for a car loan that he was signing but my brother is mentally incompetent he believed her, of course she left him she took the vehicle now not paying for it his credit is in jeopardy. I am his sister his POA but I didn’t know anything about this she gad told him not to tell me or she would not marry him. How can I get him out of this loan make her pay for taking advantage of a lonely mentally impaired person.

Asked on September 30, 2016 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If he has been legally determined to be mentally incompetent, then you can void the contract for "lack of capacity" (incompetent people cannot enter into binding or enforceable contracts)--though if the parties to the loan (e.g. the car dealership or lender; her, too, if she's also on the loan) don't voluntarily agree to voiding it, you'll need to use your authority under the POA to file a legal action in chancery court (a division or part of country court) seeking a "declaratory judgment", or court determination, that the agreement is void.
If he has not yet been officially, legally determined to be mentally incompetent, your first step is to bring an action in family court to have him declared incompetent and get yourself appointed guardian. You will need medical/psychiatric evidence or testimony--e.g., you'll need a psychiatrist who has examined your brother to testify in court--that he is incompentent.
You can also sue the woman for the costs (e.g. any car payments made; legal costs) incurred by your brother due to her actions. You'd sue for fraud and/or theft by deception (stealing by tricking someone). 
Given the number of issues, you should ideally retain a family law attorney to help you. If you have POA over your brother's finances, you can use his money for the legal fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption