Must a materials supplier honor a price that he quoted in error?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Must a materials supplier honor a price that he quoted in error?

A material supplier provided me a quote for pipe that had a purchase order. A year later I needed but the material the supplier realized the he made an error. Which is $8,000 more than the quote, does he have to honor the price he gave me originally?

Asked on September 9, 2012 under Business Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Is the "quote" that you have written about simply a "quote" and not part of an estimate submitted to you and signed where such is now a binding contract? If you have not signed an actual purchase order for the lower "quote" or taken possession of the material, then the "quote" is not set in stone and you have a higher price to pay if you want that material from this particular supplier. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption