What can I recover if a malfunctioning gate at an airport fell on my car doing $1400 in damage?

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I recover if a malfunctioning gate at an airport fell on my car doing $1400 in damage?

The airport has claimed fault and a police report was taken. They are willing to pay for the damage but will not compensate me for loss of value because of an accident on my vehicle’s history report. Do I have any recourse for a small claims case?

Asked on January 29, 2015 under Accident Law, Florida


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Generally, in order to get the money for the repairs, the potential defendant is going to make you sign a release, waiving any additional damages against them.  So if you take the money, you can not also pursue a claim for diminished value.  If you prefer to hold out and not take the money, you can sue for both the damages and diminished value, at least in Arizona.  Other states' case law may produce a different result.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption