What are our rights if a photographer used our son’s photo in advertisement and contests without our consent?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our rights if a photographer used our son’s photo in advertisement and contests without our consent?

She spoke with the childcare asking if she could send us a packet with permission to use his photo but she never got back with them and we were going to decline. On our son’s next picture day she gave the childcare an enlarged photo of our son to give to us and told them that she entered it in a contest with 500 participants and 1 first place. We were not aware of any of this. They also told us that she had his photo on Facebook. which we would have never allowed. When the picture package came we bought the photo CD with the copy writes. What can we do, if anything?

Asked on November 6, 2015 under Personal Injury, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the photographer for invasion of privacy.  Invasion of privacy is the appropriation of one's name or likeness for commercial purposes without consent.
Damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your son's lawsuit) would include emotional distress.  If a wrongful motive on the part of the photographer can be established, punitive damages (a substantial amount to punish the wrongful conduct) may be awarded.
You will need to be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on behalf of your son because he is a minor.
Your son's lawsuit for invasion of privacy must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your son will lose his rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption