What charges will be put against someone that took the blame for a DUI accident?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What charges will be put against someone that took the blame for a DUI accident?

A friend of mine took the blame for a car accident in which she was not driving. Her friend was driving without a license and had been drinking. This friend of mine decided to help her by taking the blame and saying that she was driving. The officer then smelled that she too had been drinking. Now my friend has been charged with a DUI. She wants to come clean about the real story and had proof that it was indeed not her driving.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If one has been charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance where there was property damage and/or bodily injury, the charges depending upon the amount of damages and personal injuries could be a felony as opposed to a misdemeanor.

In such a situation, the time in jail for a felony could be in excess of six (6) months and more than one thousand dollar ($1,000.00) fine. In addition, the driver's license for the person charged will be suspended for up to one year.

Additionally, one's insurance premiums for an automobile will drastically increase.

If your friend wants to change her story that she was not driving the vehicle for the charges against her after the fact, she will have a hard time convincing the district attorney's office to drop the charges against her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption