If a friend asked for my help in getting his business started but then walked away and left me holding the bag, what can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a friend asked for my help in getting his business started but then walked away and left me holding the bag, what can I do?

My friend used my SSN to get lines of credit and then he maxed out all of the accounts to the tune of

over 100K. He left me holding the bag on all of the debt and a slew of lawsuits were brought again me

as a result. What can I do to recoup my losses and hold him accountable for his actions?

Asked on January 24, 2017 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You sue him for the money: you sue him for all your losses, on several grounds:
1) Breach of contract--violating whatever agreement, even if only an oral one, as to him being responsible for these amounts.
2) Fraud--lying to you about what he could or would do about borrowing then repaying money.
3) Theft by deception--stealing from you by tricking you.
Of course, if has spent or successfully hidden all the money he got, then even if you win, you may not get anything. That is a risk in cases like this.
You may also wish to go the police, to see if you can press charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption