What to do if I was hurt at work when off the clock?

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was hurt at work when off the clock?

A few weeks ago after working all night at a nightclub, the manger and a few friends were drinking after hours. My friend decided to show me a karate move and broke both bones in my lower leg. After 4 days in the hospital the manager picked me up and told me not to worry he’d take care of everything. Now when I need help he can’t. What should I do?

Asked on July 8, 2013 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your friend; however, your employer is not liable. You were not injured in the course of employment, and you were not injured by a dangerous condition at work; when you were not injured during work or by a dangerous condition at work, your employer is not liable or financially responsible. Your friend, however, may be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption