A family member stole prescription pain meds from my home. They live out of state and are gone. Do I have any recourse?

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

A family member stole prescription pain meds from my home. They live out of state and are gone. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on June 22, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Whether out of state or not, theft is a crime--criminals cannot escape prosecution by crossing state line. So if you chose, you could report the theft to the police and let them take it from there.

Also, you *could* bring a civil lawsuit to recover the value/cost of the meds. Of course, in that case, suing across state lines, because it is more involved and cumbersome, increases the already potentially high cost of a lawsuit, so there's almost no way that suing for the value of the meds makes economic sense--unless they were *very* valuable or the amount taken was very large.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption