What can I do if a family member has both orally and in writing on Facebook spread rumors about me?

UPDATED: Mar 23, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 23, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if a family member has both orally and in writing on Facebook spread rumors about me?

They said that that I “endangered her husband and kids by running them off the road” in my car. I was driving in the middle of the road before her husband attempted to pass me; he had to veer off the pavement to pass; I let him pass.Within minutes, his wife, who was at work at the time of the incident, posted vulgar and slanderous posts with my name on her Facebook page. Family and mutual friends responded, siding with her, with some stating ways to retaliate against me. Family, friends, and neighbors no longer talk to us. People in the community are asking if I tried to kill her family. Their kids are telling people that I tried to kill them.

Asked on March 23, 2015 under Personal Injury, Texas


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In order to successfully sue for defamation, you need to have untrue statements being made about you to third parties, which you apparently have here, and you have to have damages from that.  People not talking to you will not work as damages.  You need something more concrete, such as you lost out on a job opportunity or no one will patronize your business.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption