What are our rights to reimbursement if a drunk driver crashed into our gate and caused damage to it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our rights to reimbursement if a drunk driver crashed into our gate and caused damage to it?

We made the mistake of not calling the police and not taking pictures of the damaged gate. The man now refuses to pay for the damaged gate that we paid to have repaired on the grounds that we are asking for too much money although we showed him the receipt. What can we do?

Asked on February 6, 2016 under Criminal Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the drunk driver has auto insurance, you should file a property damage claim with his auto insurance carrier.
If the drunk driver does NOT have auto insurance, your only recourse is to sue him for negligence.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for negligence) would be the cost of repairs to your gate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption