If a detective called me and said he needed me to come in so that he could talk to me but wouldnt say why, do I have to go in?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a detective called me and said he needed me to come in so that he could talk to me but wouldnt say why, do I have to go in?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You do not have to appear at the police station if you do not want to. However, should you choose to go, under no circumstances do so without having an attorney with present. No matter how innocent you may be, you could inadvertently say something incriminating (about yourself or others) regarding this incident.

The fact is that, you are under no obligation to speak to the police. This is true even if they come to your home. Just know that if you speak to them without having a lawyer to represent your interests, it is to their benefit. They will try to get you to implicate yourself; this is true no matter how friendly they may appear or, conversely, no matter how intimidating and threatening they become.
At this point you need to contact a criminal defense lawyer in your area. They can best advise you as to your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption