If adebt collector has seized a portion of my bank account what type of lawyer do I need?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If adebt collector has seized a portion of my bank account what type of lawyer do I need?

Judgement against me but I was never notified of the case. What can I do? I don’t even know what I am paying for.

Asked on August 21, 2011 New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to retain a lawyer who does judgment collection defense work or just one that does general practice.

For a judgment creditor to levy upon one of your bank accounts someone supposedly filed a lawsuit against you, served you with the summons and complaint either personally, by sub-service or publication. You supposedly did not answer the complaint and as a result, a default and default judgment have been entered against you.

If you can pull up the case number of the action against you online, you should do so and see what the action is about. If you are unable to pull up the information online, you should go down to the court house, pull the file, and review it.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption