What to do if a debt collector contacted my parents and revealed everything about my account?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a debt collector contacted my parents and revealed everything about my account?

When I talked to a manager about my account she said my dad identified himself as me (I’m his daughter) and my father would never do that. The rep also was going over social security information. My father knew what credit card it was and how much we owed on it. I was also advised that it was going to the attorneys and that I was going to be served with papers. I tried to do a one time payment and they wouldn’t accept it. How should I handle this? Can I request copies the recordings and how would I do that?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to handle the current situation that you are writing about is to contact an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law. From what you have written the representative for the debt collector may have engaged in a violation of federal and state debt collection laws by contacting your father about your credit card debt.

The best way for you to get copies of the recorded telephone call between your father and the debt collection company is to retain an attorney who practices consumer law to seek such documentation for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption