What to do about filing put a financial affidavit for court?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about filing put a financial affidavit for court?

I voluntarily turned in a truck to the bank 2 years ago and they pursued a judgment against me which was all done last year in FL. I have since gotten remarried and moved to another state. Now the attorneys for the bank have a court order for me to file a financial affidavit. This court order was mailed to my old address with my old name on it via regular mail. The only reason I know about it is that my mail is still forwarded. The court order says I have 30 days to file or will be held in contempt. How much trouble can I get in being 1000 miles and 5 states away?

Asked on February 18, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Listen, an attorney can not advise you to try and allude a judgement or circumvent the law. So here is the guidance that you are going to receive here.   Know that they will eventually catch up to you and find out about your married name.  It may take years to do so given that you are so far away or it may not if you file tax returns jointly under your social security number.  This is your debt, not your husband's but he can be impacted in many ways via credit application to buy a house, etc.  Maybe it is time to make a deal with the creditor and get this monkey off your back.  Think about it.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption