What can I do if a company owes me a rebate but will not pay?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if a company owes me a rebate but will not pay?

In October of 2016 I purchased solar panels with the sale of my home. Per the contract sent to me I owed $39,000. In December I was contacted stating I was charged incorrectly and that the price should have been $27,000. So the company owes me $12,000. I have a new contract that states the new purchase price. The company however is dragging their feet to pay me back. Now they won’t take my calls or reply to my emails. Is there a way to change interest on the money they owe me since they refuse to give it to me and have had it in their possession for 3 months now and I don’t see a delivery in the near future.

Asked on January 18, 2017 under Business Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't charge interest on the money unless there was an agreement (i.e. a term in the agreement) granting you interest. You can sue them for breach of contract for not honoring the price in the agreement and returning the surplus to you, to get the money, if they persist in not paying it. At this point, you could file the case whenever you gave up on waiting.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption