If a company owes me $13,000 for services not rendered but filed for Chapter 11, what I can do to recover my money?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a company owes me $13,000 for services not rendered but filed for Chapter 11, what I can do to recover my money?

I was refunded my original deposit of $500 but have been put off for months concerning the $13,000 I paid. The company has now filed for bankruptcy. Is there anything that I can do?

Asked on March 28, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can and should file a claim in the bankruptcy action: that way, if there is any money paid out to unsecured creditors like yourself through the bankruptcyc process, you may get a share of it. Unfortuantely, that is *all* you can do: the bankruptcy will stop all collections and legal action, and will result in the debt ultimately being discharged.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption