A company I worked for filed chapter 11

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

A company I worked for filed chapter 11

They owe me severance pay with they reneged on after filing so I submitted a claim. Do I have to appear at the hearing? What are the odds I will get paid? The company is in the fitness club business.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


David Hamilton / Dwyer & Associates

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should go to the clerk of the bankruptcy court at your earliest convenience and submit a form stating you are a creditor. Without any more information you may be in a large class of creditors and to some extent will have to see what is in the plan to find out what you will get.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption