If a commercial flatbed truck sideswiped the passenger side of my truck, will they pay for the damage on my truck?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a commercial flatbed truck sideswiped the passenger side of my truck, will they pay for the damage on my truck?

The driver of the commercial truck inch his way into may lane to make a left lane without looking on his side of the mirror that I was moving onward towards the intersection about to make a left turn. Luckily, I was moving slow enough to prevent major damage. He scraped the passenger front end of my truck and busted the head light. The end of the door was slightly snagged and the side panel of the truck was pressed against the hood. I stopped in the middle of the intersection when he sideswiped my truck. No bodily injury, I was traumatized that when the police came they have to drive my vehicle off to the side road. The following day I took the truck for an estimate to repair the damage, it came down to $3,9700 and change. My truck only covers liability. When I called his insurance carrier, to report the accident, they gave me a report and told me to wait for a call from the claim adjuster. What does this mean?

Asked on September 25, 2017 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since the truck was at fault in the accident, the insurance carrier for the registered owner should pay for the property damage (cost of repairs) to your truck.  The claims adjuster will probably take your recorded statement as to what occurred in the accident.  This is standard operating procedure.
If the at-fault party's insurance carrier does not pay for the property damage to your truck, your recourse is to sue the registered owner and driver for negligence. You would file one lawsuit naming both the registered owner and driver as defendants.
You  can file your lawsuit in small claims court. Upon prevailing in the case, you can also recover court costs such as the court filing fee and process server fee in addition to compensation for the property damage (cost of repairs) to your truck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption