A close relative is suffering from dementia. How can I ensure their estate is protected?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If a person has truly lost mental competence and is unable to exercise rational control over his or her person or property, the courts may appoint a conservator (sometimes called a guardianship) over the person and/or of the estate after a conservatorship proceeding in court.

Just showing that someone is acting a bit eccentric or is absent minded and forgetful is not likely to be sufficient to justify the appointment of a conservator. The courts are likely to respect a person’s wishes to control his or her own affairs unless convinced that the person really needs to be protected from him or herself. For example, if your relative is unable to care for him or herself and is in danger through self-neglect, then a conservatorship might be appropriate.

On the other hand, if your relative is just behaving in a way you find strange or that makes you feel uncomfortable, but is able to care adequately for him or herself, a conservatorship would probably not be appropriate.

Before a conservatorship order can be made, a very careful determination of mental capacity must be made, and this typically involves at least one physician, often a psychiatrist, and a lawyer familiar with elder law matters. The court may also appoint someone to meet with and talk to your relative to find out what he or she wants. If your relative does not want someone else to control his or her person or financial affairs, they can oppose a conservatorship and force the matter to trial. In most states, if the person being threatened with a conservatorship or guardianship can’t afford an attorney, an attorney will be appointed to oppose the request or to ask for a different conservator.

Because conservatorship proceedings can be expensive and time consuming and invasive of your relative’s privacy, it’s best not to use that alternative unless you relative is seriously in danger.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption