What to do if a citation for shoplifting was issued to my daughter?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a citation for shoplifting was issued to my daughter?

I believe her rights was not met. She did have a necklace in hand as well as her phone in the same hand. She accidently put it in her pocket not thinking. Before she was all the way out of the store the clerk stopped her and would not let her pay for the item. And refued to let her call any one for help. She is 18.

Asked on October 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that your daughter consult with a criminal defense attorney with respect to the matter that you have written about. Since she is an adult, she could end up getting convicted, the conviction will be permanent on her record and could have a detrimental effect upon her desires to get a job or go to college.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption