What to do if acertified natural health practitioner may not be following their own disclaimer when providing advice to “patients”?

UPDATED: May 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if acertified natural health practitioner may not be following their own disclaimer when providing advice to “patients”?

A “certified natural health practitioner” has the following disclaimer: “The client is solely responsible for making his or her own health and wellness decisions, and has in no way been unduly influenced into a course of action by [name removed] regarding their personal health and wellness circumstances.” It appears this person has been promoting themself as a messenger for God, and has been recommending that clinically depressed patients stop taking their anti-depressant, and those with high blood pressure stop taking blood pressure medication. Should some authority be contacted?

Asked on May 16, 2011 under Malpractice Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This person may be guilty of the unauthorized practice of medicine--from what you write, it sounds like actual medical advice being given out--which can possibly result in criminal liability; they might also be subject to a lawsuit by anyone injured by their advice. If you or someone you know has been injured, you should contact a personal injury attorney. Otherwise, you might try initially contacting the state agency or board which licenses medical professionals, or alternately the state attorney general's office or local prosecutor. One of these entities may well take an interest in this matter and at least investigate it, even if they do not immediately look to bring some sort of charges. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption