What to do if a cement truck spewed debris on my windshield and cracked and chipped it?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a cement truck spewed debris on my windshield and cracked and chipped it?

I have a witness. The company’s insurance company denied my claim saying my witness “wasn’t reliable”. Who do I sue in small claims court – the insurance company or the cement company? I have insurance but my company said I’d have to pay $100 deductible for repairs or replacement and it would go against my claims history. Will the judge make me use my insurance and just have the other company pay the deductible if I win?

Asked on July 19, 2013 under Accident Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It's not worth suing if you have insurance: all you could recover is the $100 out-of-pocket amount (the deductible), since you can't get double payment--that is, the total of what you can get is the total cost of the repair or replacement. If  you do elect to sue, you sue the truck company; you don't sue their insurer, since the insurer has no duty to you, only to them (i.e., to defend or pay for their client).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption