If the A/C has been broken for 2 weeks, what can I do to get the landlord to fix it?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the A/C has been broken for 2 weeks, what can I do to get the landlord to fix it?

I rent an apartment and the air conditioner has been broken for about 2 weeks. I let managment know and they had the handyman replace the compressor and adjust the freon levels but that didn’t fix it. I am very susceptible to heat stroke so I am very concerned. Is there anything I can do to make them fix/replace it? I have spoken to management and the handyman in person and left voicemails/text but nothing is getting done.

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to get the air conditioning at the rental you have promptly fixed is to write the landlord and handyman a note stating that if the unit is not repaired by a certain date that you will have your own person come in and repair it and the bill will be submitted to the landlord directly by the repair person.

Keep a copy of the notes for future reference and need. If the due date comes and goes for the repairs, follow through on your course of action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption