If abooking agent spread misinformation and got me fired from my band, can I sue?

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If abooking agent spread misinformation and got me fired from my band, can I sue?

I had turned in my one month notice to the band I was with. However, the booking agent contacted the head of the band and told him false information which led to my immediate termination; this cost me a months worth of work. Because the termination was the direct result of his false accusations, can I sue the agent for the money I lost because of him?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, North Dakota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could sue the booking agent for defamation.  Defamation is a false statement made with knowledge of its falsity communicated to a third person which is injurious to your reputation.  Slander is spoken defamation.  Libel is written defamation.  Each repetition of the defamatory statement is also defamation.  

Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) should include pecuniary loss (lost income).  Your damages in your lawsuit for defamation can include loss of friends, associates, emotional distress, medical bills, injury to reputation, etc.  Some of these items may or may not be applicable in your particular case.  You will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption