92 year old woman struck my parked car. 10,000 in damages.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

92 year old woman struck my parked car. 10,000 in damages.

I have 1000,00 deductible for collision on my insurance and 20 percent deductible for a rent a car until my car is fixed. Should I take the woman to small claims court if I don’t get my deductible and 20 percent back of my out of pocket expenses?
By the way she also struck three other parked cars.

Asked on April 6, 2016 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Suing her in small claims for any out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance) amounts is a good idea--she would be liable for the damages, since she is at fault in striking a parked (stationary) vehicle, but she may not have any income or assets to pay; social security, pensions, and 401k income is immune from garnishment by creditors (including judgment creditors--people who sue and win), so if she also does not have the savings to pay, you may be unable to get the money from her. That's why suing in small claims makes sense: if you act as your own attorney ("pro se"), there is very little cost, so you risk little by suing her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption