If I was going 80 mph in 60 mph zone, can I beat the ticket ?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was going 80 mph in 60 mph zone, can I beat the ticket ?

I got a speeding ticket for 80 on 60 zone. I was from out of town the cop told me a lot of out of town folks get tickets there. I didn’t argue with him about the ticket and apologized for not realizing the speed limit had dropped. He gave me 74 in a 60 zone with 4 points. While the fine wasn’t big, the points would jack up my insurance big time. I’m hoping they drop the ticket because I got caught essentially in a speed trap. Is there any change for me to get the ticket dropped in court?

Asked on March 16, 2016 under General Practice, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Speeding tickest can almost never be "beaten": the court will believe the officer, not you, and it's almost always the case that the radar/laser gun and/or police car speedometer is properly calibrated so you can't attack their accuracy successfully. But you may be able to plead to a different offense--one with fewer points, even if it has a larger fine. Show up for court and speak to the prosecutor: be respectful and contrite and let him know you are more concerned about the points than the fine. In my experience, prosecutors will, in the majority of cases, let you plead to something that is better for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption