50/50 split inherited real estate in Missouri

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

50/50 split inherited real estate in Missouri

My brother I inherited real estate property in Missouri from our deceased father with each owning a 50 share. If either of us die does the surviving brother then own 100 of the property since it was inherited or do the deceased brother’s heirs receive his 50 share.

Asked on July 16, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that the property is now in both of your names, then the deed will determine just who gets the property in the event of a death. If the title reads your names followed by the words, "joint tenants with rights of survivorship", then upon the death of one owner, the other owner will become 100% vested in ownership of the property. If such language is not on the deed, then the deceased brother's share goes into their estate and it will be distributed accordingly. If the property is still in your father's name and one of you should die, then the deceased brother's share passes to their estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption