IfI got my second DUI within 2 years, what shouldI expect ifI can’t afford a lawyer?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI got my second DUI within 2 years, what shouldI expect ifI can’t afford a lawyer?

The first DUI, my attorney got the court to suspend the imposition of sentence and place me on probation for 1 year with special conditions. I have 2 children; 1 10 months and a 5 year old. I just got married 2 weeks ago. I can’t afford an attorney. Do you think the judge will give me jail time without an attorney? Should I talk to the judge and hope for the best?

Asked on July 21, 2010 under Criminal Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

This is a criminal charge.  If you can not afford an attorney then one will be appointed for you.  It is a 6th amendment right.

You did not mention what your BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) level was when you were arrested both times  It has an impact on the sentence.  And were the children in the car?  That would harshen the penalties.  It appears that the minimum fine will be $5,000, the minimum jail time 30 days and the maximum jail time 6 months.  This is not good.  You really need to have an attorney.  Hoping for the best will not work under these circumstances.  You blew probabtion too.  Try voluntarily enrolling in a program for DUI to show the court that you intend to straighten up once and for all. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption