What canIlegally do if a used car that I just purchased needs major repairs?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canIlegally do if a used car that I just purchased needs major repairs?

Wife and I purchased a used vehicle 2 weeks ago. The next day the check engine light came on. So I took the van to a dealer and was informed that approximately $2000 in repairs were needed. I took the van back to the dealership I purchased it from and was told that it is my problem now. I need to know what, if anything, we can legally do in order to either get out of the contract or not foot the entire repair cost?

Asked on October 15, 2011 under General Practice, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The first question that needs to be answered regarding your new car is how new is it? Meaning, is it a used car that you bought from the dealership or a vehicle that has never been owned before? If it is a brand new car, then the vehicle is under warranty and is to be fixed by the dealership.

If the vehicle is not a brand new car, did it come with a warranty?

If the vehicle is not a brand new car and did not come with a warranty, what exactly is wrong with it? You need to ask the dealer why the problem with the car that manifested during your watch was not detected when the dealership had it.

I order to have the dealership responsible for the car's repairs you need to demonstrate that the dealership new of the problem with the vehicle before it was sold to you and that you were not advised of it before the sale.

You should consult with an attorney who has a practice dealing with automotive law concerning your problems with the vehicle.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption