What to do about a breach of an employment contract?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a breach of an employment contract?

Approximately 2 years ago, I signed an employment contract which included pay, benefits, non-compete, ethical standards and grounds for termination. Approximately 90 days into the agreement I was asked to take a pay cut, I agreed and it was done with no documentation. Another 90 days passed and I was asked to take an additional pay cut but this one was done with an addendum added to my employment contract. In short it stated that my pay would be restored once we reached a point of shipping equipment. We have since achieved this point of shipping equipment. However snce then 30 days have passed, or 2 pay periods, and my pay has not been restored according to the addendum. What options do I have?

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

An employment contract, like any other contract, is legally enforceable as per its plain terms--and this means that an addendum to a contract, agreed to by the employer and employee, is enforceable, too. To enforce it, however, you would need to file a lawsuit against your employer: contracts are legaly enforceable in the courts (i.e. the Labor Department or other government agencies will not enforce it for you). You therefore need to weigh what you hope to get against the costs, monetary and otherwise, of suing your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption