If I tried to use a fakeID to purchase alcohol what is the punishment?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I tried to use a fakeID to purchase alcohol what is the punishment?

And I am 18 years old but the police officer still told my parents what I was accused of. Can I do something about that?

Asked on June 25, 2011 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A charge for possession of a fake ID is considered a disorderly person's offense and is a criminal offense. It can lead to a permanent criminal charge on a criminal history record if there is a conviction Furthermore, it constitutes a disorderly persons offense punishable by, among other thing,s up to 6 months in jail. Typically, an experienced criminal defense lawyer can negotiate a reduction of this charge to a violation of a municipal ordinance, which only results in a fine and does not constitute a criminal offense. However it will depend on any prior record, the circumstances of the charge (i.e. were you cooperative with the authorities), and the evidence the state possesses against you.

Pleading guilty to a disorderly persons offense will result in a criminal record although it can be "expunged" (taken off your record) after 5 years. On the other hand, a municipal violation is not a criminal matter and can be taken of your record within 2 years.

At this point my advice is that you should focus on the above and not the fact that your parents have gotten involved. The fact is that having their support (financial and emotional) is probably to your benefit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption