How do you legally amend a Will?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you legally amend a Will?

I am power of attorney for my fathers estate; he has a Will completed. Can I add an amendment to the will forbidding any changes unless my signature and his are applied?

Asked on July 21, 2010 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You legally amend a Last Will and Testament by having an attorney prepare what is known as a "codicil" to the Will.  A codicil must adhere to the same rules in execution as a Will (witnesses, etc).  You can not execute the codicil.  The Power of Attorney would not be valid for that.  The Testator must be found to be of sound mind and understand what is going on in order for a Will or codicil to be valid.  Are you afraid that he is not of sound mind now and that someone will unduly influence his changing the Will?  Then speak with an attorney about becoming a conservator for your father to take control over his estate and his medical concerns.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption