2 citations unable to pay. What are my options?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

2 citations unable to pay. What are my options?

I recently was stopped by the police
while driving through Murphy, Tx. I
receiced 2 tickets one for speeding in
a school zone, and one for posession
of drug paraphernelia. From the looks
of things, its going to be about 1000
total. I’m currently unemployed and
don’t have very much money. Will I be
able to do community service or
something else, or am I screwed?
Please help

Asked on September 8, 2016 under General Practice, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Most of what you can do depends on the policies in your jurisdiction.  Most will offer payment plans.  If you cannot afford to even do payments, you may have to  simply sit the fines out in a county jail or do community service.  Some jurisdictions will let you set out fines on the weekends so that you can continue to work (or look for work) during the week.  Basially... it depends on what is available in your jurisdiction.  A $1000 in fees and fines can be daunting.  Usually, hiring a regular attorney is not very cost effective.  Instead of a general practice attorney, consider consulting with a ticket attorney.  Their fees can be substantially less than $1000.00.  They can also try to get you a plea bargain where in you plea guilty to one, the state will dismiss the second ticket.  This will cut your exposure in half.  The other advantage of the ticket attorney is that they will be familiar with the programs available in your area, thereby getting you quicker access to community service options. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption