What to expect for a first-offense fraud charge?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to expect for a first-offense fraud charge?

My 19 year-old is being charged with breach of trust with fraudulent intent; value over $5,000. This is his first offense. What could his sentence be?

Asked on January 11, 2011 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

A breach of trust with fraudulent intent seems to be a crime that would fit under Chapter 13 of the South Carolina laws, which covers forgery, larceny, embezzlement and the like.  If your son was entrusted with monies or property worth over $5,000.00, this is not a petty crime.  A person who is found guilty of this crime is guilty of larceny, which is the general taking of property from another with the intent to permanently deprive that person of said property.  If the amount is $5,000.00 or more, it is a felony that comes with the fine at the discretion of the court, or not more than 10 years of imprisonment, or more penalties. If this is your son's first offense and he has paid the monies back or returned said property, he better get a good criminal defense attorney to help make this go away (think alternative conviction or reduced sentence) so that he can have this wiped from his record or at least be eligible to have the charge and arrest be expunged from his record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption