What do we need to know before we call the police regarding vandalism committedby ourdaughter?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do we need to know before we call the police regarding vandalism committedby ourdaughter?

My 19 year-old daughter was caught on tape vandalizing her old high school. The arresting officer has come to the house and left his card; she is to call.

Asked on June 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It's not so much what you need to know as who you need to know--you need to retain a criminal defense attorney for her. *Anyone* arrested for a crime needs to have good defense counsel. You and your daughter should further *not* discuss this matter with anyone, especially the authorities, prior to speaking with the attorney; remember, there is a right to remain silent (the right against self-incrimination). A willingness to make restitution may help the outcome, though don't offer that until you speak with your lawyer; in the meantime though, if you have a sense for the cost to repair, you might begin seeing if you and/or your daughter have the financial resources to offer restitution.

If this is her first offense, there's a good chance she'll get off easy, but get the lawyer, anyway; good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption