Is it legal for a 17 year old boy to have sex with a 14 year old girl?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a 17 year old boy to have sex with a 14 year old girl?

In IN.

Asked on June 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The "age of consent" (that is the legal age to be able to consent to the sex act) is 16 in IN. Therefore having sex with someone under 16 is against the law.  However, criminal consequences only attach if the perpetrator is over 18. So as long as both parties are under 18 there appears to be no legal penalty in such a case.

Note: Once the 17 year-old attains the age of 18, then having sexual relations with a person under the age of 16 could result in their being charged with sexual misconduct; they could face up to 4 years in jail, plus fines. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption