Yesterday I rear ended a car and they do not have any car insurance at all.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Arnold Line, MS

Asked on 11/27/2012

Yesterday I rear ended a car and they do not have any car insurance at all. Yesterday a car slammed on breaks in front of me and I rear ended them. They do not have any car insurance at all. Am I responsible for the damages to their car when technically they should not even be on the road driving at all?

Answer given on November 29, 2012

If you cause an auto accident bo rearending the other party, you are responsible for the damage done to that car. The fact that they did not have any insurance had no cause for the accident. The question of insurance should be handled by the police, if they were called to the scene. While it may be frustrating to be involved in an accident with someone who does not have insurance, it was not their fault that you were unable to stop when they stopped. You were apparently following too closely.You need to call your insurance company or agent to file the claim. The adjuster will investigate the accident and work with the other party to repair the car and pay for any injuries that may have been incurred. If you have collision coverage, your isurance will pay for your repairs, subject to the deductible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption