Would Auto insurance or home owners cover this damage?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from East Missoula, MT

Asked on 04/06/2012

Would Auto insurance or home owners cover this damage? We had two of our vehicles parked in front of our home last night. In the middle of the night someone ran into our Vehicle 1(fully insured) and then Vehicle 1 hit our vehicle 2(liability only). We live on a one way and the cars were parked in front of our home but on the City Street. The person who hit the cars left the scene of the accident, so we have no recourse. Will the auto insurance on Vehicle 1 cover the damage to Vehicle 2? Would our home owners insurance cover any of the damages to the vehicles?

Answer given on April 13, 2012

When there is an auto accident, the party who caused the accident is the one responsible. Since you have full coverage on the first car, your insurance policy will pay for the damages, less your deductible. The second car, even though it was struck by your first car, would not be covered, since there is no collision coverage on it. You cannot file a claim from car #1 to pay for damages to car #2.Your homeowner insurance will not cover this accident either. Homeowner policies specifically exclude damages to automobiles. Autos are covered by auto insurance.You should be sure to file a police report for the damages. It seems there must be major damage to the driver of the other vehicle, so you may be able to track him down. If successful you could get your deductible back on car #1 and possibly get some coverage for the car that didn’t have collision coverage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption