Will State Farm drop us if we hire a lawyer to help us come to a higher settlement agreement? Is the settlement they offered enough?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Brier, WA

Asked on 08/22/2013

Will State Farm drop us if we hire a lawyer to help us come to a higher settlement agreement? Is the settlement they offered enough? My husband was rear ended while at a stoplight over a year ago by a vehicle going about 25mph. He has had extended hip pain. His PIP is exhausted and is paying out of pocket to continue chiropractic therapy. He did message and physical therapy for quite some time as well. The adjuster called to offer 5K to settle, saying THEIR doctors say he should have been better last year. We are having a hard time determining if the offer is good or if we should hire a lawyer to help us obtain a higher settlement. Advice is appreciated.

Answer given on August 26, 2013

If you are involved in an accident that is caused by another party, then the other party’s insurance should pay for your damages and injuries. If the insurance for that other party is not sufficient to cover your injuries, you can apply for coverage under your medical payments coverage, if you have that coverage, as well as under uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. Your insurance company should handle this as any other bodily injury coverage, up to the limits of the uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. You can obtain an attorney to help settle the claim, and your insurance company will then start working through that party. This should not affect your insurance coverage going forward. When you retain an attorney, all workings go through them and may not continue to contact you. The attorney will work on your behalf but be prepared that any settlement will have to include the fee of the attorney and thus reduce your end of the settlement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption