Will my homeowners policy covered a busted water line outside my house?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 11, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Ruther Glen, VA

Asked on 07/11/2014

Will my homeowners policy covered a busted water line outside my house? Wondering if my homeowners policy will covered a busted waterline that is outside my house that has caused damage to my yard?

Answer given on July 19, 2014

The homeowner insurance policy is intended to protect you, the policy holder, from damages to the home caused by a sudden and accidental loss. If the water line broke inside your home, the damage to the home would be covered, less you or deductible. It would also pay to open up the wall to get to the broker water line, but would not pay to actually repair the line.Since your loss is due to damage outside of the home, there is no damage to the home, only your land or yard. There is no coverage for this type of damage, either for the yard or the repair of the water pipe. If there was any damage to the home due to the water line break, you may have coverage. However, your deductible will apply so be sure the damage is sufficient to submit a claim, since you could lose a claim free discount by submitting the claim to the insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption