will my homeowner’s insurance pay for damage from a storm

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Dallas, GA

Asked on 06/24/2012

will my homeowner’s insurance pay for damage from a storm NULL

Answer given on July 01, 2012

Your homeowner insurance policy will pay you for damages caused by a storm. There are some companies that limit damages caused by a hurricane, but other than that, any storm damage is covered, less your deductible.If you have damage due to a storm, you should call your insurance company to file a claim. It is possible this would be considered a catastrophe and there will be no effect on your insurance rates for a claim. The adjuster can help walk you through the claims process and may even recommend a contractor for your repairs. You are not required to use that contractor. You might want to get a couple of estimates for the repairs before deciding on who to use. Check their references and see if there are any complaints through the contractors licensing board.Some adjusters make their own estimates and leave it up to you to find a repair place for those costs while others wait for the contractor to provide the estimate and then they pay for the work. Ask your adjuster how they will handle the claim so you are aware how to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption