Will my dad get in trouble?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Angola, IN

Asked on 10/25/2015

Will my dad get in trouble? Okay so my dad owns a pontiac g6. He gave it to me and its still on his name. He has full coverage insurance on it. I live with him im 17 year old. Will they repair it if we call them and tell them i was driving?

Answer given on November 01, 2015

If you live at home and your father has the car title in his name and is insuring it, it will be covered if there is an accident. Since you live at home you should be listed on your father’s insurance policy as a driver. The insurance company will pay for the damages, less the deductible and will then want to add you as a driver on the policy. Your age, driving experience and any tickets and accidents will affect the cost of the insurance.All of the above information is presuming the insurance policy does not have a restriction for only listed drivers. If that restriction is on the policy, then you may not be covered. Have your father talk to his insurance agent to make sure you are covered. Going forward be sure to either re-register the car to your name and you insure it or get added to your father’s insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption